Sunday, October 5, 2008

Artist Photo 1: Michael Magill


Michael Magill was a photographer that took very simple, black and white photographs. He used high value contrast and simple subjects and backgrounds. He also uses repetition in some of his photographs with a line of trees or even small houses. Many of his photographs were taken in the winter, particularly of snowy trees and buildings. This is my first photograph that I took in the style of Michael Magill. I took it on the manual priority setting using my digital camera. I really like how the leaves in the front have so much contrast with the wheel barrel in the back. Also the leaves are in focus, showing a lot of detail while the barrel is out of focus. This photo is a good example of Michael Magill's style of photography because it is a very simple, black and white photo with a lot of contrast. With the leaves being so light, they kind of remind me of snow on the leaves, which is what a lot of Magill's photos were of. This picture still uses the rule of thirds and has good composition. Also the leaves are repeated and point your eye throughout the whole photo.

No comments: